Applying to Business Schools
The process of applying to Business Schools should start with a bit of research by the student to choose the right set to apply to. The classical method of applying to the top ranked B.Schools may not be applicable now.
The Selection Process: The motive of the selection process by a Business School is to check whether a student can handle the rigors of an academically challenging MBA program and whether the student as well as the B.School will benefit from the association.
The Selection Process has a three phased approach:
- Aptitude Test (Written Test):The aptitude test or the written test is in fact not a selection but rejection process. Student quality control is imposed at this stage by testing their mental ability, hence a sizeable number of candidates are denied to go through to the next round. The test generally focuses on testing Verbal, Quantitative and Reasoning skills and includes questions on Reading and Comprehension, Language Proficiency, Numerical Ability, Data Analysis, Data Sufficiency, Critical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, Psychological Aspects, General Knowledge and General Business Environment.
- Personality Test 1 :The first personality test can be a Group Discussion, Case Study, Presentations and Extempore etc. This is an elimination stage to weed out the high number of applicants. Interpersonal Skills, Communication Skills, Emotional Intelligence, Social Intelligence, and skills important for group dynamics, that were not tested in the Aptitude Test are tested in The Personality Tests.
- Personality Test 2 :The second and final personality test is always a Personal Interview (PI).
The top B-Schools either affiliate itself with a common national level examination or take their own aptitude test to admit candidates in its courses.
The various common national level examinations to get into the finest B-Schools of India are
- CAT: The 19 IIMs and 150 more institutes.
- XAT: XLRI Jamshedpur, XIM Bhubaneshwar, SPJain, GIM etc.
- SNAP: Symbiosis University affiliated Institutes.
The various individual examination of some other finest B-Schools of India are
- IBSAT: ICFAI Business Schools
- NMAT: Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- IIFT: Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Delhi and Kolkata