About the IIM-CAT
IIM-CAT is an Aptitude Test. All aptitude tests are modified IQ (Intelligence Quotient) Tests, which check additional requirements of specific jobs and academic programs. So the IIM-CAT also checks your IQ plus all parameters which are essential to do well in the academically challenging MBA program.
The IIM-CAT is not a knowledge-based test of Math and English. It tests intelligence by using the language of Math and English. So a candidate should develop not only an understanding of how tested concepts Math and English but also a sense of how questions can be framed on the concepts.
Aptitude tests check for certain covert issues that most students miss upon as part of their preparation. Let’s develop an understanding of these :
- Mathematical Ability – Mathematical-Logical intelligence is one of the eight types of intelligences accepted by psychologists. The Mathematical-Logical intelligence is related to solving structured problems. These problems are not the same as the high-level Mathematics questions encountered in school exams, and do not check for formula- and calculation-based mathematical ability. These structured problems check for a certain sense of Mathematics which reflects intelligence. So the questions are seemingly easy, though cracking all of them under test constraints is a challenge.
- Verbal Ability – Verbal – Linguistic Intelligence is another type of intelligence. This is related with the ability to play with words and solving problems grounded in language and reasoning.
- Stamina – Ability to use your brain for longer stretches of time – Everyone can use their brain properly for short spurts of time, but we get tired eventually and then even an easy question can become challenging. But if a person can use his brain perfectly well for long stretches of time – this definitely is a Hallmark of Intelligence. So IIM-CAT is a long exam that stretches around 3 hours. If a student has not trained well to develop the stamina to use brain on challenging questions for 5 hour stretches, then towards the later part of the exam, the student’s brain is too exhausted and cannot effectively work even on easy questions.
- Concentration – We all have concentration spans of 15 minutes to 45 minutes. After these quick spurts of work, we need a well deserved break- once we are fresh; we are ready to work more and better. For a high score of the IIM-CAT, you cannot have the luxury of a break whenever you need it.
- Motivation – Apart from the hard work required during preparation for the IIM-CAT, the actual exam also needs that you are filled up with fire and motivation to prove yourself from the first minute to last minute. During the real IIM-CAT, some students who have not taken the mandatory number of mock exams, even end up getting exasperated and feel like running out of the examination hall.
- Mental Toughness – The IIM-CAT springs a lot of surprises for a well prepared student. All aptitude tests bank upon a certain element of surprise to shake up a well prepared student. The pattern of the exam changes every year – number of sections, total questions and time allocated change – so students who have zeroed in on a certain fixed strategy to crack the exam realize that the strategy they had finalized does not work on the actual exam. Moreover change in number of questions and sections has an effect on the minimum performance needed in each section due to the presence of sectional cut-offs.
- Speed versus Accuracy – When you attempt questions at a comfortable speed, you will have the highest possible accuracy. Under time constraints, when you have to attempt questions at a faster pace, then probability of making silly mistakes rises astronomically. Going slow to maintain accuracy is not an option. You need to develop the ability to attempt questions faster and maintain the right balance between speed and accuracy.
- Mix of Question-Types – On the IIM-CAT, questions appear in an assorted manner. Just developing the ability to answer each type of question is not enough as when different types of questions appear on your test screen, then you need to change your mode of attempting questions. This further strains your abilities.